Oregon  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Renter/Landlord Disagreement

I have been renting a house for about 8 months now. When I moved in, I agreed to paint the dining room rather than pay a deposit. There was no set finish date, and no compensation agreed upon if not completed. My landlord decided that since it was not done yet, she would hire someone to come in and paint and I would need to foot the bill. My questions are: since there was no set date or dollar amount, am I liable for this cost, and since this would be considered my deposit money, would I be entitled to be repaid when I move out? Thanks!

Answered on: 2/22/08, 8:44 pm by Andrew Svitek

Re: Renter/Landlord Disagreement

Ok, if this was the agreement (which you don't dispute) then you're in breach of the agreement assuming that 8 months was a reasonable length of time to do it in.

What happens when you're in breach? Need to cure the breach somehow.

My short answer is pay whatever you need to (try to negotiate) if you want to stay. If you don't, then get out and find another place to live and don't worry about paying for it.

I doubt your reimbursement would be considered a deposit which you would be able to recover.

This is just the reality of LL/T relationships, especially in month to month leases.

Svitek Law Group, LLC 520 SW 6th Ave, Suite 1250 Portland, OR 97204