Legal Question in Business Law in Pennsylvania

Non completion of job

I am self-employed. I provide writing services for webmasters and business men. I had a client who I was to complete work for by a specified date. All agreements were made via email. Although he agreed to pay a certain amount and I agreed to write (X number of articles) by specified date, no contracts were signed. No verbal agreements were made only the emails.

I have been having health problems and was unable to complete the job.I ended up in the hospital when it was due. I had the person who sometimes does some work for me notify my client of the situation and that my doctor said I could not continue or complete the work for health reasons. All materials that were completed were sent to the client. The job was 2/3 done.

Due to the circumstances I sent a full refund of the deposit to my client. I told him to prorate payment however he saw fit for the work I did complete. He has paid me nothing.

He said that he is contacting a lawyer. Can I be in trouble even though there was no actual contract and since I refunded his deposit and have not received any money?

Even though my doctor said under no circumstances am I to complete the job I offered to complete it if I could have more time. No reply

Daniel Pepper Pepper Law Group, LLC

Re: Non completion of job

Arguably, he could assert that he is entitled to lost profits or business or other consequential damages as a result of your failure to complete the work, but he would need to prove those damages in court. Of course, his decision to move forward in this manner will probably depend upon the entire amount paid for your services, and the time and money necessary to assert these claims.

More Business Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Business Law Legal Forms