Pennsylvania  |  Business Law

Non completion of job

I am self-employed. I provide writing services for webmasters and business men. I had a client who I was to complete work for by a specified date. All agreements were made via email. Although he agreed to pay a certain amount and I agreed to write (X number of articles) by specified date, no contracts were signed. No verbal agreements were made only the emails.

I have been having health problems and was unable to complete the job.I ended up in the hospital when it was due. I had the person who sometimes does some work for me notify my client of the situation and that my doctor said I could not continue or complete the work for health reasons. All materials that were completed were sent to the client. The job was 2/3 done.

Due to the circumstances I sent a full refund of the deposit to my client. I told him to prorate payment however he saw fit for the work I did complete. He has paid me nothing.

He said that he is contacting a lawyer. Can I be in trouble even though there was no actual contract and since I refunded his deposit and have not received any money?

Even though my doctor said under no circumstances am I to complete the job I offered to complete it if I could have more time. No reply