Legal Question in Criminal Law in Pennsylvania

I was arrested for solicitation of prostitution and disorderly conduct. I went to a hearing and through a lawyer got the solicitation charge dismissed and paid a fine for the disorderly conduct. I was told I am to contact the lawyer in 1 year and for a fee the record would be sponged. If the solicitation charge was dismissed why does it show on my record and I have to wait a year to get it removed.

Joseph Alexander Paletta Law Office of Joseph A. Paletta, Esq.

Even though a charge is dismissed, withdrawn, nolle prossed, etc., this does not mean that it will be removed from your record. It will still appear with the disposition that you received on the charge in question. An expungement is necessary in order to have charges that have one of these dispositions unless you are involved in a certain type of program that an expungement will be automatic after completion of such program. This happens in some counties for programs such as A.R.D. or P.W.V. and some counties require that you file the Expungement yourself. Either way, to have these removed, an expungement is usually necessary.

Joseph A. Paletta, Esq./ap

www.pittsburghcriminallawfirm.com

412.391.7999

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania