Legal Question in Medical Malpractice in Rhode Island

legal Malpractice

I just found out yesterday by going to the courthouse and looking up my file that due to my attorney missing numerous court mandated trial meetings my medical malpractice case has been dismissed. My attorney has NOT told me this yet. He has stated thedefendents in my case are trying to dismiss it and he is trying to get and order to vacate that . the order to vacate was denied. I am the victim of medical malpractice and as a result have lost my left eye. the trial was suppose to happen in September 2009. I am so hurt and confused. How can the court deny me my day in court due to attorny missing court control dates? I do not know what to do or how to feel. All I know is this is not justice.

Staff General Counsel LawyersCollaborative

Re: legal Malpractice

I am very sorry for your pain.

Looking at the Court's file, though, may not necessarily tell the whole story.

You may wish to contact your lawyer, I suggest in writing, requesting a written report of the status of your case within some reasonable period of time, perhaps 7 days.

If you do not receive a satisfactory response, then you may wish to consult with other counsel to look in to the matter.

The RI Supreme Court's Chief Disciplinary Counsel may also be able to help if you do not receive satisfactory response from your lawyer. See http://www.courts.state.ri.us/supreme/disciplinary/defaultdisciplinary.htm

Best wishes,

Scott J. Summer, Esq.

Staff General Counsel

Robert S. Bruzzi Law Offices of Robert S. Bruzzi

Re: legal Malpractice

I have experience in these matters having represented a similarly situated victim. If you wish, I would be happy to discuss this with you - offering a free consultation. My address is given but you can reach me by phone at 401.351.8900. ~ Bob

More Medical Malpractice Law questions and answers in Rhode Island