Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

Custody for Grandparents

My grandaughter has been living with me for 1 year. I am in South Carolina, her parents are in Louisiana. The Mother says she will give us custody,the father would also do so. What steps do we need to take and which state should it be done in. Both parents are currently under probation in Louisiana.

Asked on 11/05/02, 11:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter Smith Law Offices of Walter H. Smith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Custody for Grandparents

From the information you provided, this should be simple. The action would be brought here in SC, by your filing of a summons and complaint (filing fee: $100). You would serve the pleadings on the mother and father, with an acceptance of service (to avoid service of process charges) also providing to them Answers to be signed, admitting the factual allegations of the complaint and joining in the request that an Order be granted to you, awarding custody. You would need to address the issue of visitation (if any) and child support (if any). If there are siblings of the granddaughter, there may be other issues to discuss. Best wishes. WHS

Read more
Answered on 11/05/02, 5:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now