Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

I live in Houston, TX and need to file bankruptcy. I own my own home and it is paid for in full (no mortgage, yes HOA fee). I do not have a car however I desperately need one. I also owe the IRS around 12k. This happened because, when my mother passed away, her IRA came to me. I had no idea/was never informed of withholding and because of my ignorance I am deeply in debt. I would like to know a) can I keep my house? b) should I attempt to purchase a car before or after filing and c) can my tax debt be included? Any advice is appreciated!

Asked on 4/04/13, 2:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The house is exempt property so you can keep it. If the HOA has a lien on your house, they would be a secured creditor so you have to pay them. Generally debts to the IRS can't be discharged in bankruptcy. The IRS is a priority creditor. However there may be a hardship provision so you should ask about that. I believe the IRS must try to collect within 3 years.

Texas law also exempts one car per driver. If you make a purchase while you are insolvent or within 90 days of filing, you risk that purchase being declared a fraudulent transfer or a preference. You could lose the exemption.

If you have no other debt besides the IRS debt, and can make the payments, you might consider taking out a home equity loan to pay the IRS off.

On the other hand if you have a lot of unsecured debts, such as credit card debts, bankruptcy would make it easier to service the money you owe to the IRS.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 3:07 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now