Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

I bought my grandson a car 3 weeks ago it is in MY name. He has been gone for two and a half weeks under the influence of drugs and alcohol. I told him to bring the car back and he did not. He has sold his phone and no one knows where he is. He has been in contact with no one. what can I do about the car? If he gets into a wreck and injures someone I have been told I can be sued since it is in my name.

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

This is not a criminal law question but a question of civil liability. The question would be whether you negligently entrusted him with the car. If he is of age, you are probably not liable (but I am a criminal lawyer.)

Since you bought it FOR him, he did not steal it thus it is his to do as he pleases - unfortunately.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas

Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA