Legal Question in Criminal Law in Texas

Pressing charges process

If a family member has decided to press assault charges on another family member because the two of them got in a fight, how long does it usually take for the other person to know that charges have been pressed against them? How are they notified? What is the legal process? Thank you!

ERICK PLATTEN LAW OFFICE OF ERICK PLATTEN

Re: Pressing charges process

How will you know if charges have been filed? A police officer will come arrest you with an arrest warrant.

How does this happen? One of the parties involved in the fight will have to contact the police, that person will give a statement to the officer and the officer will either make an onsight arrest if the officer arrives at the fight and can tell that someone has been injured or the officer will go and get a warrant from a judge for the persons arrest.

How long does it take? Typically, not very long. If someone is going to be arrested it usually occurs within a few days.

But there is something you should know. Assaults between family members are known as assault family violence. This means that it occurred between two family members that LIVE together or even to people that LIVE together.

The family violence charge is very serious for many reasons.

You need an attorney that is good with assaults.

My track record speaks for itself because I've never lost an assault case. I've even tried aggravated assaults that were enhanced to 99 years and beaten them.

If I can be of any further help feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten

Platten Law Office

TylerJustice.com

903-593-9100

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Texas