Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I am being taken to court to determine paternity soon if the baby is mine can I voluntarily terminate my parental rights?

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator

The general answer is no.

You will be ordered to pay child support and provide medical insurance until the child is 18. If the child is not healthy then you could be ordered to provide child support for the rest of the child's life.

So hire an attorney immediately.

Look on this website & on www.avvo.com for an experienced family law attorney to help you.

It is the policy of the State of Texas that bio parents support their children. The TX legislature on behalf of the citizens of the State of Texas don't want children to receive food stamps and other government assistance. They want parents to support their kids. Most judges won't terminate parental rights easily.

You won't be forced to have a relationship with this child but you will be forced to support it.

Please talk to an attorney pronto.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas