Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I am being taken to court to determine paternity soon if the baby is mine can I voluntarily terminate my parental rights?

Asked on 10/16/13, 9:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The general answer is no.

You will be ordered to pay child support and provide medical insurance until the child is 18. If the child is not healthy then you could be ordered to provide child support for the rest of the child's life.

So hire an attorney immediately.

Look on this website & on for an experienced family law attorney to help you.

It is the policy of the State of Texas that bio parents support their children. The TX legislature on behalf of the citizens of the State of Texas don't want children to receive food stamps and other government assistance. They want parents to support their kids. Most judges won't terminate parental rights easily.

You won't be forced to have a relationship with this child but you will be forced to support it.

Please talk to an attorney pronto.

Read more
Answered on 10/17/13, 11:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now