Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

What makes person a relative? My ex husband does not want our daughter to spend time with her half brothers family, he says she cannot be with someone she is not related to.

Fran Brochstein Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator

It sounds like half-brother is a relative. But what does that really matter?

When the child is away from her father, he cannot dictate who the child is around - unless the person is a registered sex offender, drug dealers, drug addicts, or other "bad" people.

Generally, you can the take child around anyone that you want when you have the child in your possession UNLESS the judge has ORDERED you not to take the child around a person - other than a registered sex offender.

Use your discretion. If the person is a "bad" person - someone "running" from the law, on probation for something "bad", a drug user, alcoholic, or something else that a judge would not approve of, then don't take the child around that sort of person.

If the person is someone that goes to church, has no criminal record, someone that has people that will come to court and testify as to their reputation, then it's ok to have your child around that person.

If in doubt, don't take your child around a person that you think a judge would not approve of.

I hope this is helpful.

If your court order states otherwise, then ignore what I just said.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas