Texas  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/10/13, 8:42 am

I am getting married to a divorced man. He has children and pays child support and alimony to his ex wife.

If he loses his income, will I be obligated to pay child support and alimony to his ex?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/10/13, 9:19 am by Fran Brochstein


But he will have to pay it or he will be in contempt of court. Therefore, I assume you will pay it.

If he is in contempt of court, he can go to jail.

I recommend that you read his current court document so you understand what he is ordered to do.

I also recommend that you do not co-mingle any funds or file your taxes together. In the future if there is ever a modification for child support increase, then his ex can see what you make if you have any joint accounts or you file your taxes together. If you don't want his ex to know what you make, then don't have anything "together" so she cannot see what you make.

If you don't understand what I've just typed, then meet in person with a family law attorney and discuss this BEFORE you marry.

A pre-nup won't protect you - you need to keep your assets and debts separate AFTER you marry until the youngest child turns 22 yrs. old.

Marrying a divorced man is "marrying" his former family too. I'm sure you understand that or you would not be marrying him.

I offer pre-marital consultations for $150 per hour.



Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney, Arbitrator & Mediator 8978 Kirby Drive Houston, TX 77054

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search