Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

What do I do now?

I married in 1983 & 1984 to a Navy man. (complicated - but same man). We are still married. Lately he has been hinting at divorce. Says that once he does I will lose all medical priviledge and no chance at part of his retirement. (He has been retired since 1990.) He also has a good paying job as well, and has all his money in his own checking account. Texas doesn't give alimony. I can't work due to back injuries and don't qualify for SSI.

What are my options??

Asked on 6/06/03, 3:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: What do I do now?

It sounds like he does not know Texas law.

Texas does now have alimony also known as spousal support for people that qualify.

All assets, retirement, debts, etc. that were acquired during the marriage (1983) are subject to division by the judge.

All assets and liabilities that occurred during the marriage are presumed to be community property and the burden falls on the party claiming separate property to prove it.

The above is a very brief description of Texas law. You really need to consult wtih an attorney for the details in your particular situation. There might be exceptions to the above-typed statements -- such as inheritance.

The military has lengthy forms to divide retirement. You must do everything their way but it is doable.

If you have any questions, please call me at 713-847-6000. Be sure to let me know that you found me on

Fran Brochstein

Read more
Answered on 6/06/03, 6:26 pm
Basil Hoyl Law office of Basil Hoyl
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: What do I do now?

You can research the internet about military retirement and health care benefits.

Read more
Answered on 6/07/03, 11:11 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now