Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

can a parent be forced ,under threat of imprisonment, to physically force their child to visit the other parent if the judge orders it?

Asked on 2/10/11, 12:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Daley Power Daley PLLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If the court has ordered the primary conservator to allow the other parent to have possession of the child according to a set schedule, the primary conservator can be held in contempt of court for failing to do so. "Confinement" as we call it in family law is a possible penalty for contempt of court. So, yes.

HOWEVER, if the child is old enough to voice a preference, rather than force the child to visit, the primary conservator should file a motion to modify and a motion to interview the child in chambers and try to get a provision that allows the child to visit when it's agreeable to both the child and the other parent, subject to a minimum mandatory amount of time each month. (Case law requires a minimum mandatory amount for the order to be enforceable.)

Read more
Answered on 2/10/11, 5:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now