Legal Question in Immigration Law in Texas

I have a class A misdemeanor , I hit a person. I have not committed any crime or got arrested during the 32 years of my life (I am not a criminal) and been involved with a number of charities and donating for a cause even though I have a very small income. I hit that person because he betrayed me. this all happen in Texas. I have yet to get a court date . I have got a job offer in Arizona. Can you please tell me what are the consequences. I am a student form India. I know I can get deported but what if i marry my American girlfriend of two years she doesn't have anybody here, I am the only one she can depend on and she is OK with it, also how is my admissibility to the USA is going to get affected. am I barred from the US for the rest of my life ?

Cynthia Henley Cynthia Henley, Lawyer

It is a class A misdemeanor. You could get up to 1 year in jail & up to a $4,000 fine. What may be offered to you depends on the circumstances, injuries, and input of the complainant. You qualify to get a deferred adjudication probation, but you MIGHT be able to get a pretrial diversion - again, it depends on the county and the circumstances.

You could be deported, which is why it would be best if you could get a pretrial diversion.

First, deal with the criminal case. While that is going on, hire an immigration lawyer to help consult to keep you safely in the US - if possible.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Texas