Legal Question in Immigration Law in Texas

My parents have had green card for almost 5 years. Now they are out of the US for more than a year; they applied for an reentry permit before they left. Now they might not come back before reentry permit expires(mainly for health reason). I understand they can still enter US in the future with a returning resident visa, But will they lose the 5 years residence they now have?

if they come back with a returning resident visa and decide to apply for citizenship or other benefit that requires 5 year residency, how the year of residency is calculated in that case?

Asked on 6/09/13, 5:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

They risk a presumption of abandonment if they re-enter after the re-entry permit has expired.

For naturalization purposes, the applicant must have lived in the U.S. for 2.5 out of the 5 years immediately preceding the filing of the application.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/13, 7:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now