Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Texas

i turn 17 on october 30th can my mom keep me from moving out

Asked on 10/10/12, 5:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fran Brochstein Attorney & Mediator
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Under Texas law, at 17 for criminal purposes your are an adult.

For civil purposes you are a child.

Your parents are still responsible for you under you turn 18.

You can call your local sheriff, constable & police and see what they would do if you attempt to move out. Each office might handle your case differently. Generally, CPS does not want to get involved because you are so old & they have so many small babies that are in dangerous situations. However, if CPS picks you up, they would probably place you in a residential facility that you will hate. I would avoid CPS at all costs.

Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 10/16/12, 2:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Intellectual Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now