Texas  |  Intellectual Property

I want to write a kindle book that is a collection of tweets and short stories published on anonymous message boards. Like a "best of" type book. How do I go about doing this legally? The only original content would be commentary by me and the organization/curation of material. None of the material is published in any current books.

Answered on: 7/13/13, 2:10 pm by Bruce Burdick

You apply at www.copyright. gov using eCO [electronic Copyright Office] to register a claim of copyright for a "compilation". In accordance with 17 USC 103(b) the registration covers your assemblage and commentary but not the individual tweets and short stories you compile. Also, note that per 17 USC 103(a) the copyright does not cover any infringing material. See 17 USC 404 which provides that a single copyright notice covers all of the collected works, meaning you do not need a separate copyright notice for each item of your original work.

Burdick Law Firm 3832 Omega Street. Alton, IL 62002-2100