Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

Dad's House

My father was married on June 3, 2003. He had purchased a house prior to this marriage. At the time of the marriage, he still owed $40,000 on a $100,000 mortgage. He slowly paid the $40,000 after he was married via normal mortgae paymment arrangements, arguably with community funds. Does he own this house as separate property so that he can leave it to his children even though some of the mortgage was paid after he was married with community funds? I realize that his wife has a life estate pursuant to homestead constraints, but I thought the house was his separate property because he acquired it prior to his marriage.

Asked on 1/02/05, 7:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Peter Bradie Bradie, Bradie & Bradie
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Dad's House

You are correct that the house was your father's separate property. His wife has a community interest in the portion of the funds used to pay off the mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc. and her homestead life estate. That, of course, is assuming your father didn't leave a will that gave his property as he saw fit, rather than by the laws of devise and descent which only come into play if there's no will.

Read more
1/02/05, 10:58 pm
Austin Nimocks Austin R. Nimocks & Associates, P.L.L.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Dad's House

From what you're saying, only 60% of your father's house was his separate property coming into the marriage. The remaining 40% that was paid with community property is just that--community property.

Read more
1/03/05, 3:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

8785 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now