Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Virginia

I won a civil case and the defendant did not appear in court, how do I go about collection of the Judgement as well as the notification of the win? What do I have to file to proceed to retrieve this money?

Asked on 8/30/13, 6:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You will need to use the legal tools available to enforce such a judgment which most often are a garnishment of wages, a levy against the judgement debtor's bank account(s) and occasionally the writ of fieri facis that allows the local sheriff to seize and sell the debtor's personal property to satisfy the debt.

And, if the judgment debtor has real property such as land or buildings (or owns interests therein), a lien may also be filed against these assets which in some instances may be foreclosed to satisfy a large judgment.

In order to learn how to use the above described tools to enforce your particular judgment, I would suggest that you arrange for a consultation with a local attorney with experience in these matters (one who handles consumer affairs, perhaps) and who can advise you as to how best you should proceed in your particular case.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/13, 8:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now