Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

I owe a hospital bill of 15000.00 and cant pay it can they put an attachment on my home.i am 66 years old and recive ss

Asked on 4/29/13, 1:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, the hospital can record a lien against your property but first it must obtain a valid judgment against you for this debt through the court.

However, if you hold title to your home jointly with your spouse by what

the law calls Tenants by the Entireties, this lien cannot be foreclosed

against the property unless your spouse is also included in this judgment.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/13, 2:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now