Virginia  |  Criminal Law

Criminal Felony

My son bought a police scanner about 15 years ago. My niece & I would go to the frequency to be able to listen to conversations of my daughter who lives next door. The conversations often got so juicy because her husband was having phone sex with a bunch of his girlfriends. We started to record the phone conversations so we could listen to them later on. By accident, my son-in-law got the tapes from my niece & he is very angry about us taping & recording his conversations. He says it is a federal crime & a felony. He is not speaking to us. I am afraid I am going to get arrested. He said everytime we taped & everytime we recorded is a separate charge. His job has a security clearance with the US Dept Of Defense. He claims his security clearance has been violated. Additionally, he made reservations with his credit card over the phone so we had his credit card number & we called the credit card company to find out what items he charged for his girlfriends. Do you think this is serious & should we get a criminal lawyer????? Can he bring charges against us in civil courts & if so , what charges????

Answered on: 6/07/09, 8:09 pm by Cary Moseley

Re: Criminal Felony

Could you be charged, civilly and/or criminally? The answer is yes. Consulting a lawyer is never a bad idea. However, it sounds like he has more to worry about than you do. Good luck.

Law Office of Cary Powell Moseley, PLLC 916 Main Street, Third Floor Lynchburg, VA 24504