Legal Question in Criminal Law in Virginia

I have a double jeopadry case and I am not sure what I need to do to correct it?

Asked on 7/23/10, 7:38 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should discuss your case with your lawyer. If you don't have a lawyer yet, you should get one.

Many laypeople don't understand how double jeopardy works. As a result, a lot of defendants who think they have been subjected to double jeopardy really haven't. There is no way to know whether you are one of them without more information.

Bear in mind that prosecutors know how double jeopardy works and seldom violate the rule. Mistakes happen, of course. So does the occasional deliberate misconduct. People sometimes are subjected to double jeopardy. It is much more common, though, for people who have not been subjected to double jeopardy to mistakenly believe that they have.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/10, 6:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now