Virginia  |  Criminal Law

I have a double jeopadry case and I am not sure what I need to do to correct it?

Answered on: 7/23/10, 6:39 pm by Edward Hoffman

You should discuss your case with your lawyer. If you don't have a lawyer yet, you should get one.

Many laypeople don't understand how double jeopardy works. As a result, a lot of defendants who think they have been subjected to double jeopardy really haven't. There is no way to know whether you are one of them without more information.

Bear in mind that prosecutors know how double jeopardy works and seldom violate the rule. Mistakes happen, of course. So does the occasional deliberate misconduct. People sometimes are subjected to double jeopardy. It is much more common, though, for people who have not been subjected to double jeopardy to mistakenly believe that they have.

Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman 11755 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1250 Los Angeles, CA 90025