Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Virginia

My daughter has tried out for her high school cheer team for two years now. She made the Junior Varsity team both years, but cannot make the Varsity team because she is too short. The coach told her she was a great cheerleader, has the skills, personality, ability, tumbling, etc., but wished she was a foot taller. (I could not believe she actually said that last part to my daughter.) When she is a senior, she will not be able to cheer on the Junior varsity team because it is only for 9th, 10th, & 11th graders. My daughter is most likely not going to grow much taller, which will most likely mean she will not be able to cheer since she is too short for the Varsity team. She was on her middle school team and a competition team for two years so I feel she is being discriminated based on her height. Is there anything I can do? She loves to cheer.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Assuming that all the girls attending this high school as short (or shorter) than your daughter are being treated the same with respect to their non-eligibility to be cheerleaders for the varsity team, I would say that you're without viable legal recourse (if that, perhaps, is what you have in mind).

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Virginia