Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Virginia

Minority or Not

Hello, I will begin by saying that I am a africian american female, who works with three asian americans (one female and two males). Recently I was informed that I wasn't considered a minority and because of this I was not given the same pay raise that the one asian female was given. I will point out that the two asian men wasn't given the same percentage either. I was informed that the company only acknowledges one minority and that is the asian female. Do I have any course of action?

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

Re: Minority or Not

Who could tell from your description of matters?

Are you saying that you did not receive the employment compensation to which you would otherwise have been entitled because you were deliberately discriminated against by your employer due to your status as a black American woman employee?

If that in fact is the case, of course, you would have recourse in federal as well as very likely the appropriate state courts.

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Virginia