Legal Question in Elder Law in Virginia

Can a daughter that is a notary be able to make their father Power of attorney over their grandmother's estate? Also if the Grandmother was not able to speak or sign any papers due to bad health and fingers not bendable. Also the Grandmother had two other living children at the time is this against the law?

Asked on 11/23/10, 2:56 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No, only the grandmother can give her son (daughter's father) her valid Power

of Attorney and if she is no longer mentally competent to execute such a document, then her son will need to petition the local circuit court to be appointed either her conservator or guardian.

Read more
Answered on 11/29/10, 8:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now