Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I am the father of 2 amazing boys. I gained physical custody of my boys 2 years ago because their mother was not in place to raise them. She had felony drug convictions, no drivers license, and was on probation. Now after all of this time, she is taking me back to court. She is no longer on probation, is married and has a stable home, none of which she had before. I fear that she might have a good chance of getting the boys. I am thinking about worse case scenario... running away with them to another country. Horrible thought to keep them away from their mother, but I feel they are better psychologically without her. I have no idea what the ramifications could be. If there is a statute of limitations. If their is jail time involved.

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law

If this mother has reformed her ways from the past, your proposed

actions to deprive your boys of the presence of their mother in their lives

appears selfish and utterly misguided, and furthermore would seem inimical to their best interests (which is what a court would consider in evaluating the matter).

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia