Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

My husband was married to a woman for 8 years. In order to get the divorce over with (he just wanted out at the time, and she was prolonging it)He agreed to pay her a portion of his retirement form the Navy (he was an officer). He paid her the set portion for over 12 years - is it possible to change this. I have now been married to him for 13 years, and I do not understand how she can get a piece of his retirement for life when their marriage only lasted for 8 years. Is it possible to go to court and try to get this changed; she will never agree to give it up. The children from this marriage are over the age of 18.

Asked on 6/25/13, 9:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your husband should arrange for a consultation with an attorney

who handles domestic relations matters in the Commonwealth and

in particular military retirement in divorce issues on which

s/he should be able to advise him regarding his particular situation.

Read more
Answered on 6/25/13, 8:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now