Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I have a son who is 15 years old from my first marriage, his father is deceased, i have remarried but my new husband and son do not get along. Can i give custody of my son to my parents so he can lvie with them, my new husband thinks that he has control over my son and says that I cant without his consent, is this true? We have a 5 year old daughter with my new husband and he has promised he would fight me tooth and nail for her. So can I give custody to my parents ?

Asked on 9/28/11, 7:23 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Michael Hendrickson

To have legal validity, you should file a petition through your local

J&DR;Court to have this court award custody of your son to

your parents.

As no more than a step-parent to the boy, your new husband would have no say, legally speaking, in the matter and most certainly is consent would not be required.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/11, 8:07 am

Michael Hendrickson Michael Hendrickson

I also meant to add that family counseling for all three of you

might be a better solution to this problem than the one you've proposed

and could be ordered by the court should you petition to transfer custody

of your son to your parents.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/11, 8:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia