Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I had a stroke and then a seizure after giving birth a few weeks ago I just got out of the hospital and had to leave Virginia to go back home to Ohio for 2 weeks so I can get help from my family to heal. I am not married to the babies father and he is wanting paternity testing right away and going for full custody will I get in trouble if I can't show due to my health? I will be back in 2 weeks is there someone I should give notice to so I can let them know what's going on and why I won't be able to make it.

Asked on 5/21/13, 10:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This putative father will have to await your return in good time since in the absence of a court order he has no way to immediately require a paternity test and to hasten your return to the Commonwealth from Ohio. And, furthermore, If he requests a paternity test through the local J&DR;Court, it will take several months at least in all probability to schedule such a hearing on this matter which should give you plenty of time to return to Virginia.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/13, 1:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now