Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Virginia

Nonprofit Has Not Paid Wages

503(c) nonprofit is incorporated in VA as a ''think tank.'' Small operation, CEO worked full time, others worked as needed, all from homes. There is a board of directors. CEO, due to a number of personal reasons, stopped working and therefore no money was raised, leaving me and another (who lives in MO) owed back wages and expenses (in addition to being in job limbo with still no official word about anything). I have been owed around $2000 and it's going on a year now. The person in question has recognized via e-mail that he knows he owes people money. I have asked him and board members several times for an update, but basically get no reply other than there's nothing anyone can do about it. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on 6/22/06, 10:04 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Nonprofit Has Not Paid Wages

Your appropriate remedy would appear to be filing suit in small claims court for the jurisdictional limit of $2000 which you can do for less than $40.

Read more
Answered on 6/22/06, 11:11 pm
Jonathon Moseley Office of Jonathon Moseley
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Nonprofit Has Not Paid Wages

Give me a call. I can help you out. I can charge a percentage or a small hourly fee, either to help you get going or to actually do it.

Read more
Answered on 6/23/06, 2:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now