Virginia  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I rent a apt. 3 months ago I told the landlord about repairs needing fixed and finally informed them I would not pay rent until this was fixed. I kept the rent so I would have it for when I did. The major problem is "mold" all over the bathroom, some in the kitchen, behind the refrigerator and yesterday when I went to get something from under my bed "everything" was moldy!

The landlord took me to court to evict me for not paying rent. When I went and was going to explain to the judge and show evidence about why I hadn't paid rent, the person they sent to represent them knew nothing about the case so the Judge said the case was "dead".

My question is, is there anything I can do for the loss of everything that's been destroyed and pain and suffering me and my 3 children had to suffer and if so how do I go about doing this? I have never been in this predictament before