Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Defamation by property manager of condo

I emailed the property manager of my condo about a noise issue. No response from her, but a week later I got a letter from a lawyer which basically dismissed me and accused me of being a drunk (I donít drink). A copy of the letter was sent to the Board of Directors of the condo association. The letter seemed inappropriate and over the top. Is this defamation of character? On a related note, as owner of the condo, do I have a right to contact members of the condo board? Am I entitled to contact info for board members? Can a request for such contact info be refused?

Robert Strupp Robert J. Strupp,Attorney at Law, PLC

Re: Defamation by property manager of condo

Greetings,

Before answering your questions, I would want to see the lawyer's letter and the condo's governing documents. If an attorney falsely accused you of being drunk and circulated this statement to the condo board, that may well be actionable. The condo rules may provide that all communications go through the management company, not individual members. There may be provision in the governing documents for you to address the board at a meeting of the directors.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia