Legal Question in Business Law in Washington

Share Holder Working For The Corporation

I am a share holder in a corporatin in Wa. state that operates a Fitness Club. I am a triple certified trainer and train at this facility. The Corp. is less than two years old, and the two directors retain the majority of the shares. In the begining I was paid a wage. Then it stopped. When I ask for compensation, they tell me I'm a shareholder and my compensation for my hours worked will be my divedends. They said since I was a shareholder, I was exempt from wages. Is that true? I'm owed over $70000.00 in back wages and my shares are minimal.

Charles Cruikshank Cruikshank Law Office-Since 1975

Re: Share Holder Working For The Corporation

You may have a lot of legal remedies available to you, including the right to a doubling of the amounts owed to you for wages and reimbursement of attorney fees incurred in your wage collection activities.

In order to determine the best way to approach this, I would need more information. Please contact me to arrange for a no-obligation interview, so that we can discuss your rights and how to pursue them.

James Vasquez In Pacta, PLLC

Unless you have an agreement which states that you will not collect a wage for the work performed by you, you may be entitled to your back wages. Owning shares in a business entitles you to benefit from any profit made by the company, it does not prohibit you from compensation for the work performed.

More Business Law questions and answers in Washington

Business Law Legal Forms