Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

Child support obligation/Alimony possibly?

My question is two part. My husband and I have separated, he is unemployed, due to being an alcoholic and unable to hold a job, due to his addiction. He has been to treatment but is currently relapsing. Is there a possiblity that I will be required to pay him alimony and if yes, why?

Second, I am left with all financial responsibilities and 4 children. Is he responsible to pay child support before a legal separation or divorce is final? I qualified for day care assistance and am curious how he can be held responsible w/o the state having to help me.

Asked on 3/27/03, 3:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Bartow BARTOW LAW FIRM
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child support obligation/Alimony possibly?

An answer regarding maintenance cannot be answered with the information that you have provided. There are many factors, i.e. lenght of marriage, earning capacity, need, work history, etc.

If you are separated, you can convert your decree of separation into a decree of dissolution without a hitch.

An order of child support can be entered, and a parenting plan can be entered during a separation. In most cases, the primary residential parent should be seeking support for the children.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/03, 2:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now