Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

Child support obligation/Alimony possibly?

My question is two part. My husband and I have separated, he is unemployed, due to being an alcoholic and unable to hold a job, due to his addiction. He has been to treatment but is currently relapsing. Is there a possiblity that I will be required to pay him alimony and if yes, why?

Second, I am left with all financial responsibilities and 4 children. Is he responsible to pay child support before a legal separation or divorce is final? I qualified for day care assistance and am curious how he can be held responsible w/o the state having to help me.

Christopher Bartow BARTOW LAW FIRM

Re: Child support obligation/Alimony possibly?

An answer regarding maintenance cannot be answered with the information that you have provided. There are many factors, i.e. lenght of marriage, earning capacity, need, work history, etc.

If you are separated, you can convert your decree of separation into a decree of dissolution without a hitch.

An order of child support can be entered, and a parenting plan can be entered during a separation. In most cases, the primary residential parent should be seeking support for the children.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington