Can I use a form to change my name?

By | May 13, 2008

In a word, the answer is yes, you may utilize a form to have your name legally changed. There are many reasons why someone would want to change their name, the most common being upon a divorce where the wife has taken her husband’s name and now wishes to return to her maiden name.

However, there are also many other reasons to change your legal name. Some examples are for professional reasons, extremely difficult spellings and cumbersome birth names, religious affiliations, civil unions, gender changes, or the fact that you were simply never satisfied with your current name. In most states, a woman’s name can be automatically changed upon her marriage, but this is not always the case, so it is wise to check local laws before attempting to obtain a new social security card, credit card or driver’s license. The name change forms are relatively easy to fill out and most states have very few restrictions regarding their filing, however it is always wise to check the length of residency requirements as well as local stipulations. You may also use the form to change a child’s name if you are the only surviving parents, or if you have your current or former spouse’s consent. The name change form may also be utilized in the event of an adoption if the name change is not automatically entered in your state upon the filing of final paperwork with the court.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *