Legal Question in Business Law in Canada

What should I do to start a business as SkipTheDishes?

Is there any required copyright, documentation?

Asked on 4/18/20, 1:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Ronald Davidovic Law Ofc of Ronald Davidovic - 1-844-TRIALLAW

You might be thinking of "trademark" and not "copyright".

A Trademark protects your right to use the brand name free of infringement by third parties. There's nothing more frustrating than investing time and money into growing a brand, only to have somebody come along, use your trade name and capitalize on what you've done. A trademark can be an phrase, word, symbol that distinguishes your product from another businesses.

If you are looking to start a business, you should look into first incorporating your business entity and then registering your trademark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. The filing fee for the corporation and trademark are only a few hundred dollars each.

Most of these services can be done online, but can be confusing for someone not familiar with the process or some of the terms. There are also services that can file these for you for a fee. While they can take care of the service for you, only a lawyer is licensed and qualified to ensure the services you are selecting are correct for your business.

Read more
Answered on 4/20/20, 5:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Canada