Legal Question in Construction Law in India


My parents ( senior citizens - 78yrs ) live in a one bed room apartment in Chennai city. The neighbor next door is re constructing his house and in the process have built right up to our building. Some portions of the flat is now wall to wall with my neighbors building. The toilet & kitchen area is completely cut off from light & all ventilation. In spite of repeated requests they are not willing oblige. My serious fear is if there is a gas leak the consequences can be huge. Can you advise if it is legal for them to build boundary to boundary & cut off our light & ventilation. To whom do my aged parents take recourse too for help.

Thanks Kevin

Asked on 6/02/14, 12:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Kevin,

You should immediately file a complaint with the Building Construction Department of the local Chennai Municipality and stop the construction if it is unauthorized and illegal. it is compulsory that at least 15 feet space has to be left between two houses for property ventilation and lighting.


Read more
Answered on 6/02/14, 7:00 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in India