Legal Question in Environmental Law in India


The municipality is dumping waste near our House.

The land in which they dump waste belongs to a private person.

It was an old paddy field(As per law , he cant fill paddy field) . The dumping is being done with his concern.(Rumor is that this is being done for filling the land.)

This land is about 150 Meters from our house(5 houses onour side.) . Two sides are covered by road and other side by another old unused paddy field).

Our wells have already got polluted and air is smelling bad. We contacted municipal chairman and no action is taken.

Is there any law governing dumping waste near populated areas. If yes how can we go forward preventing this dumping...

Thanks in advance for your advice..

Asked on 4/28/13, 6:36 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Sir / Madam,

Instead of taking up the matter alone, it will be more effective if all the houses in your neighbourhood get together and collectively address this issue. You need to meet and submit your complaint to the Municipal Commissioner and the local elected Corporator of your locality to stop this nuisance.


Read more
Answered on 4/28/13, 6:59 am
Jayesh Desai Jayesh Desai

I agree with Mr. Chavan, this is a problem of practical approach then of law.

Read more
Answered on 5/02/13, 4:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Environmental Law questions and answers in India