Legal Question in Family Law in Nigeria

I have a baby of 3 months and married for 9months. I had a marriage act (church) but no registry.i want a divorce cos my husband is verbally and emotionally abusive amongst other things.will the law grant me separation or divorce? Can I get full custody of my child under Nigerian law

Asked on 9/25/15, 6:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Israel Usman Classfield Solicitors

By law, you cannot file for divorce less than 2 years after marriage except under certain circumstances such as adultery by your husband. You did not state the details of your problems, so it is difficult to know if your situation falls under the exceptions. Please consult a lawyer where you reside.

As for custody, no court will remove your infant child from you unless for some reason it is shown to court that you are a clear danger to the child's life

Read more
Answered on 2/09/16, 2:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Nigeria