Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

I am in process of divorce in Alabama. His attorney is wanting me to give a deposition. I have NOT seen anything in writing (court order or supoena)Am I legally obligated to do this deposition??? Can they make me do it???

Asked on 6/13/12, 1:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

C. Terry Gregg, Jr. Law Offices of Terry Gregg, LLC

Taking the deposition of anyone requires written notice (stating time, place, person, and a reasonable amount of time prior to the event). A subpoena stamped by the court is required to secure attendance. There are particular exceptions but you are not required to attend because someone "wants" you there.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/12, 2:00 pm
James Coleman Murchison & Howard, LLC

He will subpoena you. I assume you have received a call from the attorney's office asking when you can be available to be deposed. You are going to have to give them a time, they will issue a subpoena and take your deposition. And yes, they can make you do it.

Read more
Answered on 6/14/12, 8:08 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama