Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Alabama

Want to know what bills I have to pay for my husband. I live in Alabama, where he died just last week after a long battle with COPD. He left a will leaving everything (including the house and all his personal possessions) but the three automobiles were left to our 27 year old son. He did not have any other assets except money in two bank accounts with his Social Security and VA Pension checks.I want to know will we have to go into probate? The mortgage company said no and the insurance has already changed to my name as well as various other expenses he had. Am I responsible for any of his credit card debt (they were all in his name, not mine), do I have to pay any of the medical bills his medicare insurance has not? Please help. I do not have the money for a private attorney and the grief of losing my husband of 29 years as well as this agonizing fear of loosing our home to creditors it overwhelming me.

Asked on 7/10/16, 6:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison

You do have to probate a will where it addresses final expenses, etc. You should contact a legal aid office or talk with an attorney to represent you.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/16, 9:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Alabama