Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

Child's last name

My sister has a 3 year old son. When she was pregnant the father left and moved to another state. He was not around the sign the Birth Certificate. So my nephew has my sister's last name. Recently the father has said he wants my newphew to change his last name so it is the same as his. My sister does not want to make this change and sees no reason for it. What is the chance that my nephew will have to change his last name from his mother's to his father's?

Asked on 5/03/08, 11:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rich Peters R. J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

Re: Child's last name

IF Father seeks appropriate orders before the child starts school, it is likely the Court would hyphenate the child's last name to include both Mom's and Dad's name. If he does not seek orders until after the child is in school and gets use to his name, then it is less likely.

Without Orders, your sister may also be losing child support she is entitled to.

We can absolutely help.

I can explain the issues and procedures better by phone or in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via e'mail. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss the matter in more detail.

Please call me directly to discuss the specifics of your case, or contact my assistant Tasha or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule a free 1/2 hour consultation.

/s/ Rich J. Peters, Attorney



1422 N. 2nd Street, Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


602.254.1229 (facsimile)

see our web page at

Read more
Answered on 5/05/08, 4:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona