Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

My dad passed just over 2 years ago (mom passed just under 2 yrs ago). I did not have to probate the wills as their real estate was under $100,00 and their personal assets under $75,000. I was able to use just an affidavit. But last week I was contacted by the attorneys office that was handling my dad's railroad settlement cases prior to his death stating funds waiting to be dispersed to his beneficiaries. I was aware of the ongoing cases as I helped my dad fill out the initial paperwork but I assumed after both my dad then my mom's passing everything would stop. There are other estranged heirs but I was the appointee in the will and the only beneficiary. But the attorney's office is saying I have to now probate the will for their protection. Would I still be able to probate as it has been slightly over two years and the only reason for probate is receive the settlement funds.

Asked on 7/31/18, 3:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joan Bundy Joan Bundy Law

This is not a family law question. It is estate planning. Please re-submit under the correct heading. Thanks!

Read more
Answered on 7/31/18, 3:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona