Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

I have joint custody of my two children with my ex, she wants to enroll them in her new neighborhood which is 30 minutes from my house. I would like them to enroll somewhere in the middle of both of our homes but she said she has already enrolled them and refuses to come to an agreement. Do I legally have a right to make her rescind their enrollment?

Asked on 4/24/12, 10:47 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joyce Johnson-Stovall Johnson Stovall and Associates PLLC

Parenting after divorce can be challenging. In order to provide a specific answer, it would be necessary to review the language of your divorce decree and parenting plan. Divorce decrees often give the parents a strategy to resolve issues when they cannot reach agreement. In some cases the court gives one spouse final decision making authority, appoints a parenting coordinator to help resolve issues or forces the parents to attend mediation in the Court Services office. Without knowing what is in your divorce decree or whether it should be modified to enable you to resolve future parenting issues, we cannot provide you with a specific strategy to resolve your issue. If you would like to contact Stephanie Coulter of this office at 602 462 1004, we would be happy to make arrangements with you to review your decree and help you select an appropriate strategy that is in the best interest of the children and minimizes conflict in dealing with your parenting plan.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/12, 6:25 pm
Rich Peters R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

You likely need to get the Court involved. AND, the sooner, the better. See us soon.

We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options. This is obviously a very important matter, and you should not go in alone.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Alicia or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule your free 1/2 hour consultation.

Rich J. Peters

Attorney at Law

1422 N. 2nd Street Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


Fax (602)254-1229

Read more
Answered on 4/26/12, 8:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona