Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

i live in az for 3mos before that i lived in wa, my husband has always lived in ca. we have never lived togethersince our marriage. we want a divorce . can i just file for a divorce here in AZ or do I have to file in ca too

Asked on 6/06/12, 8:52 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Joyce Johnson-Stovall Johnson Stovall and Associates PLLC

yes... you can file for either an annulment or a divorce... in Arizona. You don't need to file in both places. The difference between a divorce and an annulment is that an annulment treats the marriage as though it never happened. If you need assistance, call Stephanie Coulter at 602 462 1004 to make arrangements to talk to us.

Read more
Answered on 6/07/12, 6:22 am
Rich Peters R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

Since he has never lived here, we need to discuss whether he would AGREE to allow the matter (whether divorce or annulment) to proceed in Arizona. IF HE OBJECTED to Arizona's jurisdiction, your efforts would likely be wasted.

BUT, I WOULD NEED TO KNOW MORE to further assess jurisdiction.

We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options. This is obviously a very important matter, and you should not go in alone.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Alicia or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule your free 1/2 hour consultation.

/s/Rich J. Peters

Attorney at Law

1422 N. 2nd Street Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


Fax (602)254-1229

Read more
Answered on 6/07/12, 9:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona