Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

relocation and custody

I left my husband and left AZ. Moved

to NY, got a divorce. Then after

divorce I decided to move back to AZ.

Got remarried and want to move to

New Mexico with my new husband.

Can I do this move? I have sole

custody and there is nothing in the

divorce decree saying I can't move. I

figured I can move since I wasn't

even in AZ when the divorce went

thru. Please help!!

Asked on 4/21/08, 6:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Monica Donaldson Stewart Donaldson Stewart, P.C.

Re: relocation and custody

If your divorce decree was signed in Arizona, and if you both reside in the same state and if the other parent has court-ordered parenting time, you might need to obtain permission from the court prior to relocating (based on AZ statute, and depending on what your paperwork says). If your divorce was issued in a different state, you'd need to look to that state's laws regarding relocation.

Read more
Answered on 4/21/08, 6:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona