Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Arizona

My mom passed Sept 02 2018, and I got a letter from fidelity which my mom had a 401k savings this is last January 11 2023. I got in touch with them and finally got a check last week which I can do anything about it because it was payable to the estate of my mom estate. My question is how can I get access to my mom estate? What will be the process?

Asked on 12/17/23, 2:04 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mom.

If there was a fiduciary appointed by the court for your mom's estate, that person can open a bank account and deposit the check and then distribute the funds according to mom's will, or if there was no will, according to the laws of the state where mom died. If there wasn't a fiduciary appointed, then you or someone else will need to file the papers and get appointed as fiduciary so that someone can cash the check.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/18/23, 7:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Arizona