Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Arkansas

Firing an attorney

We were involved in an automobile accident and hired an attorney. The accident was not our fault. We have full coverage insurance on our vehicle, also underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage. The other person also has insurance, we don't know how much coverage. We are not happy with the way the attorney is handling our case. We signed papers for him to receive 1/3 of the recovery. How can we ''fire'' him. We would be glad to pay him for work done to date, if we could just get rid of him. Help!

Asked on 7/14/01, 3:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC

Re: Firing an attorney

Read the contingent fee contract you signed with him. It may contain instructions on how to discharge your attorney. If so, follow them.

If not, write him a certified letter stating that you (1) no longer require his services, (2) requesting an itemized statement of charges/costs to date, and (3) requesting a statement of the status of your case and a copy of your complete file.

If you have decided upon another attorney to represent you, seek his/her help with this.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/01, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Arkansas