Legal Question in Personal Injury in Arkansas

auto liability

I am going to give my adult daughter a car, put the car in her name to prevent me from being sued if she crashes into someone. If I leave the auto insurance policy in my name, can I be held liable for her negligence?

Asked on 5/12/09, 11:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul Ford Paul N. Ford, J.D.,P.A.

Re: auto liability

The issue you are concerned about is "negligent entrustment". I would talk to your insurance agent before making a decision.

There is a law in Arkansas that holds a parent liable for car wrecks of their teenagers. But not children over 18 years of age.

I still think the decision about the name you have on the policy of insurance should be one you make along with the agent.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/09, 2:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Arkansas