Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I might be getting sued for the injury I caused in tennis game.

In July 2005, I accidentally hit this guy with tennis ball while we're playing tennis.

The ball was not exactly in play. It was this guy's turn to serve. So he was walking toward baseline facing the fense. I hit a very high lob

to feed the balls for him to

prepare fore serving. The ball somehow hit this guy's eyes. I gave him my phone number at the spot.

For about 1 year, he's been quiet about it. In July 2006, he has contacted me 1st time threatening me to press a criminal charge on me and put me in jail and so on.

He asked my resident address and driver's license number.

But I gave him mailing address(P.O Box). Since then until now in October, he has not sued me yet but has been harrassing and stalking me over this issue. He also has been spreading bad repuation about me in the tennis playing community.

I would like to know the liability as well as my rights in this situation.

After that I will do something about this situation. Thanks.

Asked on 10/09/06, 6:46 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

Re: I might be getting sued for the injury I caused in tennis game.

If he was a player or official, he might have assumed the risk of being injured by a ball on the tennis court.

Nevertheless, if he's bad-mouthing you and telling falsehoods, then he might be subject to a defamation lawsuit. If it's merely his opinion, then it wouldn't be defamation.

As for his injury, he has two years from the date of injury in which to file a lawsuit. If he does not do so in that time -- except in connection with an insurance claim -- he would be barred from ever doing so. You are not required to provide any personal information prior to a lawsuit being filed, and from what you relate, you cannot be criminally prosecuted.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/06, 5:32 pm

Re: I might be getting sued for the injury I caused in tennis game.

If you do get served with a lawsuit, and you have homeowner's insurance, turn it over to them. Otherwise, try and lay low and hope he misses the 2 year mark. Good luck and thanks for your question.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/06, 11:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California